Summary: Gyun Woo, after coming back from Qing as a scholar lands on a job as the crown prince’s teacher. He meets a not-so-sassy, drunk but pretty lady in the streets of the capital only to find out later that she’s the princess Hye Myung. The princess has been trying to find out if her mother, the ousted queen is still alive. Gyun Woo tries to help her but finds out later he did a great mistake in the past that will cause their relationship to crumble.
Genre: Period, Romantic Comedy
Episodes: 32 (30-min episodes)
Stars: Joo Won as Gyun Woo
Oh Yeon Seo as Princess Hye Myung
Lee Jung Shin as Kang Joon Young
Kim Yoon Hye as Jung Da Yun
Likes: It’s period drama but not the serious ones. I love how they made it look like the modern times for instance…
- Gyun Woo pictured in the beginning as the fashionista from Joseon and popular scholar in Qing.
- Classy cafes and restaurants in the capital where the nobles and their wives and kids hang out. The nobles’ wives talk about the latest bag fashion and the daughters talk about the eligible bachelors in the town.
- The bookstore! I love the bookstore with famous novels like Boys Over Flowers, My Lover from the Stars, Secret Garden and some more titles from popular kdramas.
- The rich girls’ nail makeover hangout.
- Those annoying pretty boys law enforcers who keep bugging Lady Da Yun.
- The shoes! Pretty shoes in the streets of Joseon and the rich ladies have a collection of them.
- The prince of Qing! He was far from looking like someone from Qing but who cares, he looked so good and looked like from a foreign land!
- Even gangsters are well-organized like the present-time Korean mafia.
- Use of rings to propose!
Some funny and cute moments but my favourite was when the princess was caught by Gyun Woo’s parents and sister slept over at Gyun’s Woo’s room. She wasn’t so sassy afterall!
We have great-looking leads! I love both of them. Joo Won, his looks and height complements the super beautiful Oh Yeon Soo!
Lee Jung Shin, it’s good to see him trying another drama genre. Although more workshop and practice for his acting skills, he has a great 2nd lead potential.
Great actress award goes to Yoon Se Ah, the annoying queen in this drama. Her facial expressions, dialogues and body languages show how professional she is.
From all period dramas I’d watched so far, this one has the sweetest Queen mum (the queen dowager, mum of the king).
Towards the end, we had 2 great story twists. One is the sad fate of Joo Myung and the Queen. The other one is Gyun Woo’s lost memory coming back and shedding light to the events of the past.
Great, flashy costumes!
Beautiful bridge scene and proposal as ending!
Dislikes: Some of the sets looked so made up like the garden of the princess. It looks like they decorated it with fake flowers.
Yes we have 2 gorgeous-looking leads but the chemistry, hm… not so blown-away.
The ending. Yes, very pretty bridge scene but no proper epilogue just lots of flashbacks. Quite poor.