Summary: Son Oh Gong, the monkey king is bound to protect Jin Seon Mi through a powerful bracelet called Geumganggo. The geumganggo has the power to enslave him by making him fall in love with the person who let him wear the bracelet and protect that person wholeheartedly. So Son Oh Gong has been following Jin Seon Mi around and protecting her from all evil spirits which are bothering her.
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Comedy, Horror
Stars: Lee Seung Ki as Son Oh Gong
Cha Seung Won as King Wooma
Oh Yeon Seo as Jin Sun Mi
Lee Hong Ki as P.K
Jang Kwang as Yoon Dae Sik
Lee El as Ma Ji Young
Likes: The Story – at first it was confusing and the storyline was somewhat chaotic. I didn’t have a background of the original so I was quite lost. The beginning was like Alice in Wonderland with ghosts, evil spirits, demons, then even came a zombie. It was like a fantasy-horror roller-coaster! Lost but quite enjoying the adventure. Later on, our leading man was clear – handsome, mischievous, powerful – well, basically a god. Our leading lady, the girl in distress didn’t and leave our handsome god a choice but to protect and love her. With that, I was happy, we’re back in a kdrama world, lol!
The Characters and the Cast – It took me a while to get used to the characters and understand how important and powerful each one of them as most of them were immortals but as soon as I got the hang of it, everything made more sense.
- Lee Seung Ki as Son Oh Gong – he is definitely most handsome in this role! I think he did so well as the rude monkey always teasing his girl but then always giving in to her. Among LSK’s kdrama, this is the first one he really connected and had an awesome chemistry with his leading lady which made him more handsome. I love how arrogant, angry, rude and hot-tempered Son Oh Gong was! A change to our normal sweet and polite kdrama leading man.
- Oh Yeon Seo as Jin Sun Mi – She’s always pretty but she never really had a proper chemistry with his leading men in the past, maybe because of those strong and brave roles she was in. However, as Jin Seon Mi, Oh Yeon So became like a little girl who was a having a crush on someone older. She was more vulnerable which suits nicely with Son Oh Gong’s rough character. Her moments with Son Oh Gong were always something to watch for.
- Cha Seung Won as Ma Wang – this guy is not just tall and handsome but a good actor as well. Cha Seung Won didn’t disappoint me as the vain, powerful, funny but carries sadness in his heart – Ma Wang, the bull King. Cha Seung Won’s acting was commendable, he would go from funny, quirky to sad. All with impressive facial expressions!
- Lee Hong Ki as P.K – the naughty and mischievous Dwaeji! Suits Lee Hong Ki so well!
- Lee El as Ma Ji Young – I love her, she’s gorgeous and she can act too!
The Kissing Scenes – Is it me or they’re very generous with kissing scenes these days. After I’m Not a Robot, this drama comes next to having an elaborate kissing scene this year. Not that I’m complaining, I LOVE IT! Bring in some more of these scenes! Our 2 top leads did a great job! They looked good and in love when they kissed, very convincing ;). I specially like the kiss at the bookshop. It was the famous reactivation kiss!
Bromance – my favourite is the bromance between Son Oh Gong and Ma Wang. It’s like they don’t like each but they like each other. They were so cute to watch especially when it comes to Son Oh Gong’s coat which he always hung on Ma Wang’s bull statue. The latter would get annoyed but then later missed him when there was no one anymore doing that.
The OST – I so love the song When I Saw You! Check out the rest of the OST as well.
Bizarre Stuff – The Winter General and the Summer Fairy were one person! It was more bizarre than the black dragon! Honestly, it took me a while to realize that haha. Also, the rotting smell of Bu Ja was successfully conveyed (at least to me) by how rotting she looked. Great acting and great job makeup artists!
The Outfits – This has a high probability in bagging the best in outfits/costume award which I’ll give later this year. Everyone looked good in their well-fitted outfits! I can imagine a lot of money went to this one.
The Ending – since the start of the show, the ending was always pointing to a sad one. However, I like how I got my consolations. I can deal with that ending! It’s all good then :).
Dislike – the only complain I have here is how Son Oh Gong was pushed into that super “rich” character. It was unnecessary. I found it trying hard somehow.