Summary: Our surgeon heroine, Yun Joo went into the webtoon world to save the gorgeous and super rich Kang Chul of W webtoon series that her own father created. She was able to return to the real world but would always be summoned back especially when Kang Chul needed her.
Genre: Romance, Melodrama, Thriller, Fantasy, Supernatural
Stars: Lee Jong Suk as Kang Chul
Han Hyo Joo as Oh Yun Joo
Likes: I rarely give a perfect 10 but when I do it’s only given to the best of the best, to the most awesome, to the most heart-pounding, most nerve-wracking, most daebak kdrama I watched. This year, it’s happening again. This is the reason why I keep on watching knowing that one day, I will get to watch another masterpiece. W, this year is no doubt the best kdrama! But what makes it the best?
- the concept – I wouldn’t say it’s unique. Maybe this kind of story already existed in books or manga or comics or music videos (oh yes I know one and that’s the MV of A-ha Take on Me ) but in kdrama, it was my first time to watch it and it was very exciting!
- the worlds – the real colourful world and the fictional black and white comic world which were not so different from each other, well, except for the time.
- the characters – oh oh oh Kang Chul my love, why so handsome?! Yes Kang Chul, the rich, gorgeous guy in the comic has that effect on everyone that even a lady surgeon from the real world would be attracted to. Oh well, he was made that way by his creator, a simply perfect guy. And this perfect antagonist is paired by a pretty surgeon from the real world, Yun Joo who happened to save him when he was wounded and dying. A perfect heroine for our gorgeous hero!
- the actors – I love Lee Jong Suk playing as Kang Chul. His face looks like it just came out of a manga. Han Hyo Joo (though her acting needs more improvement), she is so pretty to pass as our perfect antagonist’s love interest.
- the storyline – great order of events and impressive twists that make every episode full of suspense and totally unpredictable.
- the length – 16-episode long is just perfect. No dragginess, no unnecessary extensions to suit sponsors.
- great villains – what makes a great story is the presence of a great villain and W has 2! First Oh Seong Moo, the creator of the novel W who became the protagonist of his own novel. Second one is Han Cheol, the politician inside the comic who was always after Kang Chul. 2 great actors but I would give the best actor award to Kim Eui Sung who played 2 characters Oh Seong Moo and the killer in webtoon.
- best kissing scenes – yes they were the best kissing scenes. Jong Suk oppa appears to be a great kisser. And I’m glad the writers were so generous to shower us viewers with these super exciting scenes. We’ve witnessed a surprised kiss, romantic, goodbye, hello and a sunset kiss. Thank you, very generous indeed.
- super cool scenes – lots of them! Will mention a few… Kang Chul riding a super hot red car, sad goodbye at the rooftop was even super cool, editing on-going happening in the comic world using the tablet, Kang Chul making it to the real world for the first time and so on and so forth…
- best comical relief – Park Soo Bong, the author’s assistant brought lots of laughters especially whenever he was scared. And Yun Joo’s boss in the hospital Heo Jung Do was also super hilarious even in a bossy way. It was a fantastic idea to mix comedy in a suspense drama. You know, when you’ve got this feeling when everything becomes creepy then our funny guys pop up, what a relief :).
- the OST – lovely songs played throughout the drama. Check out W OST playlist.
- the ending – I love it! It’s a sad-happy ending but I got over the sad part very quickly because of the awesome happy part!
Overall, I’m very much contented. Nothing to ask for, nothing I dislike. Even the promotional ads for KIA wasn’t an eyesore at all. It was the best ad in a kdrama I’ve ever seen. Great integration! Really very well done!
It’s a terrific drama and I highly recommend it to everyone. Enjoy watching!